|Araignan Blanc grapes|
The Clos Centeilles "C" blanc is made from 35% Araignan Blanc, 30% Riveirenc Blanc, 30% Riveirenc Gris and 5% Grenache Gris*. Since we've already covered Grenache Gris, I'll mainly be focusing on the other three grapes that make up 95% of this particular wine.
Curtis Liquors for around $20. This wine is a vin de pays from the Cotes du Brian, which I believe is in the area around Minervois in the Languedoc. In the glass the wine was a fairly deep lemon gold color. The nose was fairly intense with aromas of green apple, apple cider, Meyer lemon, pastry dough, pineapple and melon. On the palate the wine was on the fuller side of medium with medium acidity. There were broad, creamy flavors of pear, red apple, Meyer lemon creme and a touch of apple cider. This wine is fermented on its lees before being drawn off the heavier lees into a neutral container. It is stirred weekly for several months before being bottled for release and this stirring and lees contact definitely gives it a rich, creamy mouth-feel, though it does sharpen up a bit as it approaches room temperature. Rosemary George reviewed this wine on her website in 2010 and remarked that it is "not a wine to age," and I agree with her assessment, having tasted the wine about a year and a half after she did. It was an enjoyable wine, but I thought it was probably more interesting than good and much preferred the red from this estate. It is a rare opportunity to try grapes that you may otherwise never taste, though, and is good enough that I wouldn't consider it a mere curiosity.
*These figures are for the 2007 vintage. The winery website does not offer any more up-to-date information than this.